Things To Do Before Leaving on Vacation
- Leave instructions and phone numbers for the housesitter.
- Leave your itinerary and phone numbers with the housesitter as well as with a couple of friends or family members.
- Make four copies of your passport. Pack one copy in your carry on and one copy in your checked baggage. Pack the third copy in your travel partner's luggage, in case yours gets lost and theirs
does not. Finally, leave the fourth copy back home with your family or friends! If you lose your passport, you'll have several copies to provide to the American Embassy for an immediate duplicate.
- Carry a couple of passport pictures in your passport. If you need to purchase a discount metro or travel card in major European cities, you'll have the required picture ready to go. It will
also come in handy if you have to replace your passport through the American Embassy.
- Close the vents to your car, especially if your car is parked in an airport parking lot or outside. You can't imagine how much dust filters inside in a couple of weeks!
- Turn off and unplug appliances, and turn off the water supply to the washing machine. Just in case.
- Divert mail and newspaper delivery, especially if you will be away for an extended period of time or if you do not have a housesitter, dogsitter or neighbor collecting your mail for you while
you are away.
- Pay bills.
Top of page