Important Travel Websites and Phone Numbers
- For the names of qualified English speaking physician overseas, contact the International Association for Medical Assistance to Travelers (I.A.M.A.T.) at 417-Center Street, Lewiston, NY 14092.
- To learn whether you need innoculations or vaccinations for travel to a particular country, call (877) 394-8747 or log on to http://www.cdc.gov/travel.
- For information on applying for a US Passport, phone (900) 225-5674 or (888) 362-8668 (you'll be charged in either case) or log on to http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html (for
free). Or, better yet visit your local US postal office.
- To learn whether a country is safe to visit, phone (202) 647-5335 or log on to http://travel.state.gov/.
- To learn the exchange rate for the currency of a country you plan to visit, phone (800) 287-7362 or log on to http://www.oanda.com/converter/classic.
- For an upcoming forecast of weather at your destination (local or foreign), log onto http://www.weather.com.
- To obtain driving directions for your next road trip, log onto http://www.mapquest.com.
- To learn the rudiments of up to 70 languages spoken around the world, log on to http://www.travlang.com.
- For travel insurance covering trip cancellation or interruption, luggage loss, and other such mishaps, contact Access America at (800) 284-8300 or log onto http://www.accessamerica.com;
Travel Guard at (877) 216-4885 or log on to http://www.travelguard.com; or Universal Travel Protections at (800) 211-8952 or log on to http://www.utravelpro.com.
- For emergency medical evacuation insurance, contact MedJet Assistance at (800)-MED-JET.
Top of page